Ever thought it would be awesome to lock down your iPad to just Finger-Ink so that your clients can't mess with anything else?
You want something called Guided Access.
Guided Access limits your device to a single app and lets you control which app features are available.
Guided access is probably one of the most under utilised tools on your iPad. Here's how you use it:
- Enable Guided Access through Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access. It's best to set a passcode as well.
- Launch the app you want to lock the iPad down to (e.g. Finger-Ink).
- Triple-click the home button (the hardware button on the front of the iPad).
- When the guided access menu comes up, tap the options button in the bottom left hand corner of the screen and turn on the Sleep/Wake Button.
- Hit the start button in the top right hand corner of the screen.
You're now locked down to the app.
- If you hit the home button once to navigate away, a message will be displayed "Guided Access is enabled. Triple-click the home button to exit.".
- If you sleep the device by hitting the Sleep/Wake Button then wake it again you'll be in the app again without having to enter your normal device passcode (which we think is awesome).
- If you triple-click the home button you will be prompted to enter your Guided Access passcode to disable Guided Access.
We think this is perfect for the iPads circulating reception and definitely a great match for Finger-Ink.
Try it and let us know how it goes for you.