With regards to API keys, Finger-Ink can be run in two ways:
- Using a single API key with all the required permissions.
- Using multiple API keys — where at least one API key is a power receptionist or administrator, and the rest are practitioners.
If you're using the treatment note templates / custom forms feature then you may need to consider multiple API keys.
Single API key
You'll only need to connect a single API key if:
- You're not using the treatment note templates / custom forms feature (i.e. you don't want to ask your own questions and have them flow through to a treatment note), or
- You want every treatment note in Cliniko to be created through Finger-Ink by one, and only one, user — so that only this user can edit and finalise the treatment note.
To run with a single API key, just connect the app to Cliniko as usual through the first purple screen. Then you're done! You don't need to add any additional API keys through the settings screen.
This works because Finger-Ink will default to using the first valid practitioner API key to create treatment notes when other API keys are missing.
Single API key example
In the above, I've purposely not filled out the API key for myself, as I want all treatment notes to be created as Chris.
This does mean that starting a form, added via a treatment note template, comes with a warning:
But this can safely be ignored if you want to be running just a single API key.
Multiple API keys
You'll want to connect multiple API keys if:
- You want every treatment note in Cliniko to be created through Finger-Ink by the relevant practitioner — so that practitioner is the only one that can edit and finalise the treatment note.
Why are multiple API keys required for this scenario? It'd due to Cliniko's permissions:
- Cliniko only allows practitioners to create treatment notes
- Cliniko only allows treatment notes to be edited (and finalised) by the practioner that created them
- The Finger-Ink app uses the permissions of the API keys you provide it
Only practitioners can create treatment notes
Your Cliniko account allows multiple users with varying roles: administrator, practitioner, power receptionist etc.
Only roles of type administrator or practitioner, with the "is this person a practitioner" on can create treatment notes:
Treatment notes can only be edited by their creator
Once "Dr Bob" creates a treatment note in Cliniko, only "Dr Bob" can edit and finalise it.
"Dr Mary", on the other hand, cannot edit or finalise it. She may be able to see it, provided you have the "Can only read treatment notes and letters they authored themselves" turned off in Cliniko settings:
Finger-Ink uses the permissions of the API keys you provide it
The Finger-Ink app shows appointments for all practitioners and — since version 1.3.0 — shows exactly who each appointment is for:
As per the example above, if I (Brendan Kilfoil) was seeing Pete here, I'd want the treatment note to be created as myself, so I can go into Cliniko afterwards, add my information and finalise it.
How to generate multiple API keys
There's no easy answer here — you'll need each practitioner to follow the steps outlined in Cliniko's documentation to generate an API key and send it to you — so you can add them to the Finger-Ink app.